Only five Ingredients!!! Original Recipe from Tasty.co
You will need:
2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
2 tablespoons lemon juice – again I prefer more so I put in about 3 tbsps or 1 fresh lemon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups Extra Virgin Olive oil, refrigerator cold – I find that it sometime takes a little bit more to get it nice and thick. For me it depends on the recipe in which I want to use the mayonnaise, for a potato salad I like it still a bit runny, so I will put in less oil
You will also need 2 tablespoons of cold water.
Optional extras for flavour:
- Garlic – I prefer fresh galric, but you can used the minced one as well
- Roasted Red Peppers
- Sun-dried Tomatoes
- Food Processor/Immersion Blender
- Airtight container to store the mayonnaise
- Measuring spoons
1. Combine all ingredients (including the Optional extras) except the oil in a food processor fitted with the blade attachment and blend until combined, 5-10 seconds.
2. While the food processor is still running, add the cold oil in a very slow, steady stream. It should take about a minute to add all of the oil, but you will quickly see the mixture starting to change and turn white.
3. When all of the oil is incorporated, the mixture should be thick, emulsified, and a pale yellowish-white. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
4. Taste and add more salt, pepper or lemon juice if needed